Celebrities talking about their depression, anxiety & mental heath

Mental health has been described as a "slow-growing epidemic" and the number of people dealing with it has increased by 10 per cent in the last 10 years.
The worst thing about it is that it doesn't discriminate- anyone can be affected by it.
Check out these biggest celebrities in showbiz talking about their experiences with mental health, depression or anxiety.


Ryan Reynolds
Ryan Reynolds opened up about the anxiety he experienced whilst filming Deadpool. "I never, ever slept. Or I was sleeping at a perfect right angle – just sitting straight, constantly working at the same time", he explained. "By the time we were in post [production], we’d been to Comic-Con, and people went crazy for it. The expectations were eating me alive." The 40-year-old credited his wife, Blake Lively, for helping him through it: "Blake helped me through that. I’m lucky to have her around just to keep me sane".





Justin Bieber 

Justin Bieber spoke to NME about how fame had a negative effect on his mental health: “I’m struggling just to get through the days. I think a lot of people are
This life can rip you apart. [I get depressed] all the time. And I feel isolated. You’re in your hotel room and there are fans all around, paparazzi following you everywhere, and it gets intense. When you can’t go anywhere or do anything alone you get depressed. I would not wish this upon anyone.”


Demi Lovato

The singer has never shied away from opening up about her problems and is determined to de-stigmatise mental illness by sharing her story. Demi Lovato said: “I just think mental illness is something people need to learn more about.I want people to know it's okay to ask for help and it's okay to have a mental illness." Speaking at the National Council for Behavioral Health in Washington DC, she said: “I think it's important that people no longer look at mental illness as something taboo to talk about. It's something that's extremely common, one in five adults has a mental illness, so basically everyone is essentially connected to this problem and this epidemic," she explains. "The problem with mental illness is people don't look at it as a physical illness. When you think about it, the brain is actually the most complex organ in your body. We need to treat it like a physical illness and take it seriously."




Zayn Malik

The One Direction star has been praised for his honesty over his "extreme anxiety" which has led to him having to cancel concerts.Zayn Malik said: "I have been working over the last three months to overcome my extreme anxiety around major live solo performances."I don’t have it in me to feel secure in anything I do. I always strive towards something better.“It’s why I sometimes come across the wrong way – a bit distant. I’m stressed out trying to control how I’m perceived.”





Kristen Stewart

“Between ages 15 and 20, it was really intense. I was constantly anxious. I was kind of a control freak. If I didn’t know how something was going to turn out, I would make myself ill, or just be locked up or inhibited in a way that was really debilitating," Kristen Stewart talks about not being able to let go.







Cara Delevingne

She is one of the most successful models in the world but Cara Delevingne used her power for good when she posted on Twitter about her battle with depression.
She Tweeted: "I suffer from depression and was a model during a particularly rough patch of self hatred. I am so lucky for the work I get to do but I used to work to try and escape and just ended up completely exhausting myself. I am focusing on filming and trying to learn not to pick apart my every flaw. I am really good at that.”





Comments